- Between a thousand and two thousand inhabitants of the New Zealand village of Havelock North have become ill from contaminated drinking water. In the water is the campylobacter bacterium.
Around twenty people were hospitalized, including two elderly people who are in intensive care. All schools in the village remain closed to prevent the spread of the infection.
Where the contamination comes from the bacterium is still unknown. Campylobacter can cause gastrointestinal complaints.
Strong criticism after bathing debacle
'This is a huge blow for Ajax
Schlitterbahn Kansas City