- On a campsite on the French west coast last night panic created after a major fire. No less than 1500 campers had to flee the fire. Four people were slightly injured, including a girl of five and a firefighter. Five caravans burned completely, four were severely damaged.
The guests of Le Signol camping on the island of Oleron had to spend the night in the town square of the neighboring Boyardville. The local bar l'Echoppe stayed open all night and served free hot chocolate to children displaced by the fire.
During the morning four of the affected families were able to return to their place, the rest has yet to be resolved. It is not clear whether any Dutch tourists have been affected.
Exploded Gas Cylinder
The fire started around thirty this morning in a mobile home, presumably by the explosion of a gas cylinder. An hour later decided to evacuate the fire 1500 people precaution. The camp, which has 330 seats, was completely full tonight.
Waking up of shouting
Frenchman Nicolas Aveline standing with his family at the campsite. He did against Sud Ouest his story. "It was about half past 3. I slept and woke up screaming. I heard that 'brand' was called. I did not think it was a joke, because I also heard beating people with their fists on the doors of caravans. We are very shocked. "
Charente-Maritime : plus d'infos sur l'incendie du camping dans l'île d'Oléron cette nuit >> https://t.co/ODt5LR3nZO pic.twitter.com/QTOiO2P2pL— SO_LaRochelle (@SO_LaRochelle) August 19, 2016