zonhoven - An 18-year-old boy from Zonhoven died after a strangulation sequence that got out of hand. The parents have brought out the news themselves to warn others.
The mother of the Belgian Ruben found him hanging on a ribbon in the shower on Saturday. 'I hope that the death of my son was not for nothing, and that young people realize that such choking games are dangerous,' says father Luc in Het Nieuwsblad.
The 18-year-old electromechanics student would start his laser exams yesterday. According to his parents, he was a happy boy. He had been dating for a year and a half.
Ruben Buntinx was found standing half-standing in the shower on Saturday. 'He had secured himself there with a kind of band. Ruben had his smartphone pointed at him. That's why we think someone was watching live, 'says his father.
'I think Ruben tried to find his limit, but miscalculated. It may have been a few seconds that he went too far and lost consciousness. Unfortunately, he has been led by people who are engaged in such games, without dwelling on the dangers. That makes it all so meaningless. He had such a bright future for himself. '
The police investigate the death of Ruben but for the time being assumes an accident. However, the phone searches whether he was indeed streaming live and who would have looked at it.